SRM UAV - THE TEAM STORY
The year was 2013 when a team of enthusiastic undergraduates from SRM University came together with a vision to contribute to an industry that was making tremors everywhere. 'Drones' became a buzzword and was poised to change the world, SRM UAV wasn't far behind!
Ever since it was conceived SRM UAV has been courting success, our work has been recognized by organizations like the DRDO and NAL. We have participated in eminent competitions like the AUVSI SUAS held in Maryland and prestigious events like the Indian Aviation Expo, just to name a few.
The world is plagued with problems, pollution has reached unforeseen levels, natural disasters are now a common news headline; keeping this in mind, our mission is simple, to make the world a better place by providing viable yet efficient solutions to military and civilian issues.
MAKING OF UAV-TIMELAPSE
ABOUT ME & THIS CAMPAIGN:
My name is BHARGAV VITHANI and am an undergraduate engineering student studying at SRM Institute of Science and Technology in Chennai. I am part of the "Team SRM-UAV" and it's our dream and vision to win the AUVSI - Student Unmanned Aerial Systems, an international level competition which is held in Patuxent River Naval Airbase, Maryland, USA.
The team has taken part in the competition since the last 2 years and our objective this year is to win it and make India proud. Being part of this team has been one of the best experiences of my life especially when I see young engineers like me bringing to life an unmanned aerial vehicle from scratch. We have a team full of people with passion and ready to fight any hindrance that we face. We are really fired up to finish in the top 5 in the next Student Unmanned Aerial competition in Maryland but we lack the required monetary support to build the system that has the caliber to finish in the top 3.
I am raising an amount of ₹ 15,000 individually to help my team build the best UAV system and encourage my team to build the best. We are not asking you to just hand out your money to us, but to engage in a powerful relationship with mutual trust. Please fund generously and we will put your funding to very good use.
WHY SUPPORT US?
Being just undergraduate engineering students, it's not easy to build a autonomous drone of this caliber while managing your semester studies, assignments, journals, and college projects. While most engineering students attend college for a mere 6-7 hours a day, a technical student team such as this demands dedication and discipline, that requires the team members to work 5-6 hours every day after attending 7 hours of lectures, which is 13-14 hours of work daily in order to build a drone while maintaining the given deadlines. Additionally, it includes working through sleepless nights, hot afternoons, lazy weekends, and sometimes even teammates getting cut by grinders or burnt while welding, and a bunch of unexpected challenges that we face on a day to day basis. None of these challenges can stop us from working towards our goal of building the best ever student drone.
We are really passionate about what we do so we leave no stone unturned in building the best autonomous drone. But being a student organization, lack of sufficient financial support is a major setback for the team.
- SUAS 2018 ranking: 8th in Design Report, 11th in Flight Readiness Review, 28th overall.
- SUAS 2017 ranking: 18th in Design Report, 11th in Flight Readiness Review, 27th overall.
- Medical Express 2018: Top 20 team to be selected for taking part in the competition held in Australia.
- Silver medal for research in Implementation of Swarm UAV's in Humanitarian Aid, Disaster and Relief
- Our drone “Savior UAV” was shortlisted for the European Satellite Navigation Competition in 2013.
- Our work has been commended by Mr. Avinash Chander, the then Director-General of DRDO.
- We secured the First Position in the Lighter than Air Vehicle Challenge Student Design Competition organized by American Society of Mechanical Engineers held at BITS, Pilani.
- We presented our projects at the Second Unmanned Systems Conference and Exhibition - 2014 held at New Delhi.
- We were the only student team in attendance at India Aviation Expo 2013 and 2016, Hyderabad and our effort were greatly appreciated by the delegates.
- National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore has shown a keen interest in two of our projects.
- Our research has been printed in The New Indian Express, Deccan Chronicle, Shanghai Express, Career 360, etc.
- Our projects have been covered by Vasanth TV, a TV Channel.
- We exhibited our UAVs at Maker Fest 2015, held in Ahmedabad in January 2015.
- We secured world rank 38 in Students Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS) Competition, held in Maryland, USA in June 2015.
- We showcased our UAVs to Mr. Ratan Tata, Chairman Emeritus of TATA Sons, who was highly impressed with our projects and lauded us for the same.
- We secured 3rd prize at the National Symposium of Nascent Aerospace Technologies 2018
- We have won the gold medal for research on a tailless blended wing body aircraft, capable of vertical takeoff and landing.
- We have won the silver medal for our research on Design & Fabrication of a Universal UAV for cost-effective flight tests.
BENEFITS TO INDIA
India is using drones or unmanned aerial vehicles form many decades in military applications but the civilian sector remain untouched recently the low cost easily available drones in the market make the people try the technology in different sectors like aerial photography for local events, survey for real estate purposes, inspection of high towers etc..
Now the drone used aerial photography is a common thing in India. Many people are using drones in India for local events like marriage and local festivals etc.
Drones in India can make a positive impact on the countries agriculture sector. The drones are already been started influencing many sectors of agriculture like crop monitoring, water, and pesticide spraying, broadcasting seeds etc.
Some e-commerce companies like Amazon already started using drones for delivery purposes, soon these companies will start to implement such things in India because India is the biggest market for them.
Recently the government of India implemented some regulation in the usage of drones, it shows the increase in the use of drones in India as well as to guide the citizens to use it in a good way.
Team SRM UAV is working day and night to provide cheaper and efficient drone solutions for easing the lifestyle in India. Also, we have represented India in international competitions and earned respectable positions with low budget drones.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
SRM Institute of Science and Technology (formerly known as SRM University) is one of the top ranking universities in India with over 38,000 students and more than 2600 faculty across all the campus, offering a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs in Engineering, Management, Medicine and Health Sciences, and Science and Humanities
How does crowdfunding work?
Crowdfunding in India is a relatively new concept & is growing very quickly.
It’s a concept that allows a large number of funders (like you) to fund an Idea or a cause or event by giving small amounts of money online. Fueladream is a crowdfunding site and platform in India that allows for such a pooling of funds.
You can fund innovations & ideas on FuelADream and be the first to get these products or make them come true. You can also do a good turn by funding charities and causes through crowdfunding. When you fund a charity it’s more like a donation & you get small innovative rewards like a shout-out on a FB page or a thank you email from the beneficiaries.