Alumni of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) came together to establish the non profit organisation IIMPACT.
IIMPACT reflects the desire to make a positive impact primarily through the IIM linkages of the founding members. We have a single minded focus on working towards educating & changing the lives of young girls in the remotest of rural areas in India.
Getting a girl to school is not just about providing them with a school and a teacher - its often involves changing local customs , values and fighting against prejudices.The girls we have impacted also show true grit as they " push back against old age customs " and take the first step towards independence - by coming to our learning centres.
IIMPACT has 54000 girls enrolled across India!
The vision of IIMPACT is to transform the lives of women, families and entire communities in India by the education and empowerment of the girl child.
Here are 3 stories we would like to share with you.
STORY 1 - WINNING AGAINST CHILD MARRIAGE
STORY 2 - WINNING AGAINST BECOMING A FARM LABOURER
STORY 3 - WINNING AGAINST BECOMING A BONDED LABOURER
*Disclaimer: To protect the identity of the girls - details of the kids have been changed.
At IIMPACT we are scripting many more such amazing stories & we would want you to also get involved. Fund the education of these girls & lets together script more such amazing stories.
IIMPACT is building 10 learning centres in Sheopur, Madhya Pradesh. Each learning centre will accommodate 30 children. These learning centres will in turn impact thousands of children for years to come and is a dire necessity in the area.
Map: Sheopur is a remote district near the M.P and Rajasthan border
An organisation like IIMPACT is so important in India because of the deplorable condition not just of girl child education in India, but due to the sad reality of the girl child itself.
PIC: Girls at one of the IIMPACT Centres in Bahrar
WHAT WE ARE CROWDFUNDING FOR:
We are setting up 10 centres in & around Sheopur, Madhya Pradesh. The cost of each centre is INR 1.1 Lakh per annum. Each centre will support 30 children. We need INR 11 L to impact 300 girls and in turn the entire community.
It takes just 370 INR APPROX to fund a girl’s education per month.
FUND 10000 INR and impact 30 girls approximately per month.
* The campaign goal of INR 12,27,000 also includes the crowdfunding fees
PIC: Children’s day celebrations on the 14th of November.
While free education is available to everyone across the country in theory, the statistics tell a whole other story. We realise that there is a growing need to promote girl child education. Something that has been neglected for generations.
WHY IS GIRL CHILD EDUCATION SO SCARCE?
Child sex ratio down to 914 girls for 1,000 boys.
Less than 5 out of 10 girls who enter Class 1 get to finish Class 10.
Reasons why girls drop-out from school are:
- Child labour, household chores, caring for younger siblings.
- Socio-cultural practices.
- Child marriage, dowry, preference for boys’ education.
- Poor quality of education.
- Multi-grade classes, low teacher-to-student ratio.
- Infrastructure challenges.
- Lack of toilet and drinking water facilities in schools.
IIMPACT provides educational opportunity to girls, from socially and economically disadvantaged communities of India, who traditionally have no access to schooling. Our aim is to break the cycle of illiteracy that girls from such communities are mired in. This is done through local community-based Learning Centres, where they get meaningful and stimulating education up to Year 5 and are guided to their entry in to mainstream education. We are supported by corporations, trusts and individuals who want to make a difference.
- IIMPACT was started by alumni of the 1978 batch of IIM, Ahmedabad.
- IIMPACT is a registered Non-Government Organisation (NGO) committed to educating and thereby empowering the rural girl child between the ages of 6 & 14 years in an attempt to reduce the levels of illiteracy prevailing in India.
- IIMPACT is run by a committed group of senior industry professionals, most of whom have graduated from the Indian Institute Management, Class of 1978.
- IIMPACT focuses on primary education of underprivileged girls who have never gone to school because of the prevailing village norms. Over 5 years, IIMPACT group teaches girls how to read, write and calculate. The system of teaching takes them from junior kindergarten levels to the 5th Standard level in achievable stages.
- IIMPACT believes that every remote region needs to share in the development and prosperity India is experiencing post-liberalization. In many parts of India, boys are still favored while girls are left behind.”
PIC: Different learning methods that our centres use.
PIC: A supervision day at the centre.
OUR GROWTH OVER THE LAST 14 Years
HOW ARE WE DIFFERENT?
Established in 2003, IIMPACT has identified a specific focus, developed a clear strategy and proved the delivery model in terms of social outcomes as well as scalability. Educating the Girl Child has been shown to transform the community.
- Today IIMPACT educates 54,000 girls in 1100 villages in 11 States of India.
- Almost all girls who complete the Class V program go on to middle and high school
- 100% of donor funds go towards educating girls.
How does crowdfunding work?
Crowdfunding in India is a relatively new concept & is growing very quickly.
It’s s concept that allows a large number of funders (like you) to fund an Idea or a cause or event by giving small amounts of money online. Fueladream is a crowdfunding site and platform in India that allows for such a pooling of funds.
You can fund innovations & ideas on FuelADream and be the first to get these products or make them come true. You can also do a good turn by funding charities and causes through crowdfunding. When you fund a charity it’s more like a donation & you get small innovative rewards like a shout-out on a FB page or a thank you email from the beneficiaries.