Ever since I was a child, travel and the wonders of our world have always fascinated me, that's how I've managed to have ridden in 5 continents and 13 countries. But along the way, having seeing these wonders at risk, has made me extremely worried about the future of our planet and since then, I knew that I need to make an effort to preserve and save our world.
I have never asked anyone for money before, but it breaks my heart that after putting in so much effort and having been among 5,000 people that applied from all over the world that i am in a position where i am short of funds. To me being selected for the Antarctica mission for climate change is a very very big deal .............. and my mission has always been to Do Good As I Travel. It is a constant struggle for me or any women here to constantly prove ourselves, to achieve more and more, but with no help. Same with this case where I put in my best to get selected, was super excited until I realized I have to raise funds for this expedition.
What is IAE 2018?
The International Antarctic Expedition 2018 is a leadership program hosted by Robert Swan to bring together 80 individuals from across the world to experience the effects of climatic change in real time and brainstorm solutions to combat them. This mission will come a long way in building sustainable & resilient communities across the world.
I am Candida Louis a small town girl from Bangalore in the south of India .I was the first women from India to ride alone on a Motorcycle in 2015 covering 32000kms around India spreading the message to more women out there that India is safe. To breaking barriers by teaching many more women to ride a Motorcycle and be Independent, confident and strong. To riding across Cambodia with a team delivering laptops to remote villages and teaching the kids how to use them.
1. Safety awareness ride from West to North East India covering 7,000 kms in partnership with Ceat Tyres.
2. Conducted Motorcycle Training for 150 + women in the last 2 years.
3. Won the PowerTrip 360 competition by Xbhp among 3200 bikers that participated and got the opportunity to ride in Australia from Melbourne to Sydney, covering 2,000 kms.
4. Was selected as a Catalyst traveller by the Mouskoka Foundation where I had the opportunity to ride in Cambodia for a month delivering laptops to remote villages in the Cardamom Jungle and help teach children how to use the laptops.
5. I was the main lead Rider for Karnataka Tourism’s ride that included 4 MLA’s and 35 other people on a ride around Karnataka.
6. Been a motorcycle tour guide and have led 34 groups both domestic and international.
7. Won the best shot photography competition for Overland Expo among 1800 people that participated.
8. Selected as one of the Change your World Fund Class of 2017.
What are the risks and challenges associated with this project?
The International Antarctic Expedition 2018 is a highly selective leadership program hosted by Robert Swan.. Every year, only 80 people from across the world make it to the ship to Antarctica, to experience climatic change real-time and brainstorm solutions to build sustainable and resilient communities to thereby preserve the pristine continent. While getting to be one of the chosen few was a challenge in itself, the tough weather conditions in the southernmost part of the world will definitely be another uphill task! As of now, money is my only barrier.
Why am I actually going?
● Everyone is so busy with our everyday life's and doing things, running the rat race. Not many people are aware of the effects on our planet. As I watch documentaries and learn more about climate change, I have started to understand that this is the single largest and most important issue.
● I have been riding a motorcycle for more than 11 years. I want to see and understand the huge impact of climate change and global due to human activities in the most delicate and crucial place in the world. Because as things get worse in Antarctica, they will get way worse everywhere else.
● By participating in ‘Leadership on the Edge’ program, I want to learn to be a better leader, grow businesses and communities, and help educate kids, the community and corporates that I meet , to build sustainable and resilient communities.
What’s the plan, once I’m there?
Once I get there, I want to make a documentary film that will impart the knowledge and awareness of effects of climatic change. I will be posting it on all my social media platforms and keep everyone up to date.
I will get an opportunity to meet many young leaders working on climate change across the world. We will share ideas and brainstorm on what we can do in our own communities to build awareness, promote recycling, renewable energy and sustainability to combat the effects of climate change.
What’s my plan, once I’m back from the expedition?
● I want to encourage others to really understand the devastating effects of climate change and take action.
● Educate leaders in corporate to consider the effect their decisions can have on climate change.
● Based on my experience, many working in corporate are interested in helping to ensure sustainable development, but don’t have the time to figure out how to. I want to make it easier for them to do their part.
● Based on my learning's from this expedition, I want to create programs/ modules in my workplace and other corporates/ organizations that help drive environmental conservation and are also easy to follow.
● I want to incorporate small changes into people’s daily lives that will go a long way in collectively creating a more sustainable world.
I need to pay Rs 15,00,000 towards the costs of the expedition (detailed below). I’ve already successfully raised Rs 1,50,000 + have been promised some sponsorship of value around 5.5 Lakhs. So, am looking forward to your support for the reminder i.e around 8 Lakhs. Every bit of your support counts.
With your support, I hope to be an Indian girl breaking boundaries to have traversed in all the Seven Continents and to create and run an awareness campaign about climate change in India’s schools, colleges, companies and at biking events. While I travel in India I would like to meet and discuss the effects of Climate change and show live videos of global warming and its effects. Together, let’s take a step forward to address the greatest challenges of our generation. Together, let’s make the difference.
How am I going to prove that I won't just take all the money and run away?
I am a passionate and committed individual who gave up my high-paying job to follow the calling of my heart and I have been working hard towards building the sector for women safety and travel here in India. My life's mission has been to not just ride around but to Do Good As I Go... I value what I do immensely, and I value your faith in me even more!
If I don't meet the goal you get your money back.
In return for your support:
Rs 1,00,000 - I will conduct a 2 hour session/workshop on Leadership, Sustainability and Climatic Change based on my module for children/Corporate teams at your institution or corporate company.
Rs 50,000 and more - You'll receive an autographed book from the man himself! Robert Swan is the only man ever to walk unsupported to both the North and South poles. He is the author of "Antarctica 2041: My quest to save The Earth's Last Wilderness"
Rs 25,000 and more – Special souvenir from the southernmost town in the world, exclusive high-quality photographs of Antarctica and daily updates during the expedition. You’ll receive a thank you note acknowledging your contribution.
Rs 15,000 – Rs 25,000 – Exclusive high-quality photographs of Antarctica. You'll get a postcard from Ushuaia (the southernmost city on our planet) and daily updates during the expedition.
Rs 10,000 – 15000 - Exclusive high-quality photographs of Antarctica and daily updates during the expedition.
Upto Rs 10000 – Daily updates during the expedition.
Last but not least, your contribution to this campaign is a sign of your support to the cause of fighting Climate change. You will become part of an important initiative to preserve our world today for tomorrow’s generations.
What are the crowdfunding charges?
Fueladream charges 2% for the payment for the payment gateway and 7% as crowdfunding charges. With GST the total comes to 10.62%. There is also an initial fee of 3000 INR which is being waived for us.
How does crowdfunding work?
Crowdfunding in India is a relatively new concept & is growing very quickly.
It’s a concept that allows a large number of funders (like you) to fund an Idea or a cause or event by giving small amounts of money online. Fueladream is a crowdfunding site and platform in India that allows for such a pooling of funds.
You can fund innovations & ideas on FuelADream and be the first to get these products or make them come true. You can also do a good turn by funding charities and causes through crowdfunding. When you fund a charity it’s more like a donation & you get small innovative rewards like a shout-out on a FB page or a thank you email from the beneficiaries.